The Louisiana SPCA is an equal opportunity employer and has a rich benefits program including medical benefits and 401K. To report any issues with the online application process, or for special assistance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Animal Care Attendant
The Louisiana SPCA is currently seeking to fill the position of an Animal Care Attendant. Animal Care Attendants provide for the humane care and excellent quality of life for all animals in the shelter.
Duties include, but are not limited to: leaning, feeding, watering, and monitoring the animal’s health and behavior
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must present a professional appearance, flexibility, ability to multi-task in a fast-paces environment
- This position is physically demanding and requires a significant amount of bending, reaching and kneeling
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds
- Should not be allergic to animals, must work with industrial strength cleaners and disinfectants and have the ability to perform all physical tasks.
To apply: Complete online application.
Client Care Counselor
The Louisiana SPCA is currently seeking to fill the position of Client Care Counselor. The position schedule is five work days (40 hour week) and applicants must be available to work weekends. Client Care duties include stray and owner relinquishes, owner request euthanasia, lost and found, owner redemptions, court case payments, retail services, and much more.
- Assisting with proper identification and the transferring of animals brought in by the public
- Entering animal information into our computer data base and documenting all communications regarding certain animals in our care
- Informing citizens, in a positive way, about the policies and procedures in place at Louisiana SPCA
- Counseling and assisting clients with lost pets
- Counseling owners that would like to relinquish their pet and ensuring that they have exhausted all other options
- Counseling clients about TNR services and fees
- Communicate with Humane Law Officers in regards to clients who have animals at our facility
- Assisting adoption counselors when help is needed
- Knowledge of all retail products, including heartworm prevention and flea control
- Contacting possible owners, vet clinics, and microchip companies by phone and email
- Basic animal handling skills, including both cats and dogs
- A true compassion for people, as well as animals, and a willingness to educate clients in a positive, respectful manner
- Perform all other duties as necessary and required
- Treating all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance and promoting a humane and caring attitude toward all animals
To apply: Complete online application.
Humane Law Enforcement Dispatcher
The Louisiana SPCA is currently seeking a dedicated person responsible for responding to citizens' calls for Humane Law Enforcement assistance and assigning requests to Officers on-duty. Additionally the position requires one to educate the public to be humane pet owners, and promote and support the Louisiana SPCA's programs and mission.
Duties and Requirements include:
- Assists citizens with interpretation and understanding of animal ordinances , department procedure, & responsible animal ownership
- Drive company vehicle as needed.
- Responds to telephone calls and emails regarding animal rescue, public safety and the enforcement of animal ordinances
- Maintains accurate logs, reports, and statistics of daily activity which will include input and updating call information.
- Assigns and dispatches calls to Humane Law Enforcement Officers (HLEO) and monitors HLEO safety while in the field
- Monitors and assigns follow-up calls to HLEO
- Represents the LA/SPCA and in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Works courteously and cooperatively with other staff members and volunteers.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all cases and LA/SPCA information.Communication
- Keeps HLE Dispatch Supervisor informed of progress and potential conflicts.
- Maintain a professional and friendly demeanor and provides good customer service.
Essential Organization Functions:
- Educates public on humane pet care.
- Promote programs offered to the public by the LA/SPCA including adoptions, low cost spay/neuter, and special events.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding all cases.
- Position is considered "Essential" in emergencies and/or disaster situations.
- Become certified in euthanasia and perform euthanasia upon request.
- Treat all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance and promoting a humane and caring attitude toward all animals.
Education and/or Experience:
- Must have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- Must be able to pass a criminal background check and pre-employment physical and substance screening
- Team-focused attitude.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including clear telephone speaking voice and ability to relate information to the public and officers in a concise, clear manner.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong computer skills including basic clerical and data entry skills as well as math skills
- Ability to work weekends, nights, and holidays
- During hurricanes maintain a 24 hr. on call status.
- Mental and physical flexibility is a must.
- Should not be allergic to animals; must be able to work around all animals.
- Must be able to work with industrial strength cleaners and disinfectants.
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds; push and pull heavy objects; bend, twist, reach; perform strenuous physical activities including frequent walking and running, standing, bending and stooping.
To apply: Complete online applicaion.