Losing a pet is a terrifying experience. Here are a few tips to help you find your pet:
File a Lost report with a photo of the lost animal at the LA/SPCA and/or your local animal shelter. The LA/SPCA only holds strays for a period of three (3) days and requires you to come in person to file a lost report.
Actively look around your neighborhood. Notify your mail carrier and others who work in your neighborhood. Take a walk daily and check possible hiding places. Dawn and dusk are the most active times for lost pets.
Notify your area veterinary clinics and boarding and grooming facilities.
Leave food and water outside for your pet and an article of your clothing, toy or a bed your pet uses.
- If your pet is microchipped call your microchip company to ensure your information is current and correct; and still be pro-active in your search.
- For lost cats, ask your neighbors to check their garages and sheds, as cats can become trapped in inconspicuous places.
- You may view our Stray & Found Dogs and Cats currently with our shelter once you have filed a lost report in person. Keep in mind animals must be identified in person.
- Check our Found Pets Blog, to see pets reported found by friendly citizens.
*warning* Sometimes unfriendly citizens will use forums to prey on people. The LASPCA urges you to use caution if you are contacted by someone claiming to have found your pet and asks you for a reward in exchange for the animal. This is a common con and should be reported to your local law enforcement.
If you find your pet, take a moment to ensure this will not happen again:
GNO Area Shelters:
|The Louisiana SPCA (Orleans Parish)
||1700 Mardi Gras Blvd, Algiers
|Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter - East Bank
||1 Humane Way, Harahan
|Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter - West Bank
||1869 Ames Blvd, Marrero
|Plaquemines Parish Animal Control
||3712 Main St, Belle Chase
|St. Bernard Parish Animal Control
||5455 E. Judge Perez Dr, Chalmette
|St. Charles Parish Animal Control
||13830 River Rd, Luling
|St. John Parish Animal Shelter
||124 Water Plant Rd, LaPlace
|St. Tammany Parish Dept of Animal Services
||31078 Hwy 36, Lacombe
|St. Tammany Parish-Slidell Animal Control
||2700 Terrace Ave, Slidell
|Tangipahoa Parish Animal Control
||15487 Club Deluxe Rd, Hammond
|Terrebone Parish Animal Control
||131 Plant Rd, Houma
|Washington Parish Animal Control
||1637 Desmare St, Franklington
Reclaiming a Pet
- Government-issued photo ID is required to redeem your animal.
- Proof of ownership is required. (i.e. vet records with your pets name and description and your contact information, photos, microchip identification)
- No shelter may release an animal without current proof of rabies within the past 12 months, so be sure to bring your pet's vaccination records.
- Fees will be involved, as shelters incur costs for housing and treating your animal. Fees will vary depending on your pet's spay/neuter status, vaccinations, and the nature of the intake of the animal.